Sunday, September 28, 2014

it's not always rainbows and butterflies

Every day is hard. I typically wake up not ready for another day of struggling. Struggling to buy groceries, struggling to have simple conversations, struggling to make food the french way, struggling to understand the metric system, struggling to know the 24 hour clock, struggles, struggles, struggles!

At some point in every day I want to just give up and come home, go to school like everybody else. But there's been something absolutely amazing in every day that I've been here that just takes my breath away, so whenever I have the thought of coming home, I want to slap myself for thinking it. Especially cause I've only been here one small week! It's not even that I'm homesick; It's the language barrier. Everyone speaks so fast that I just can't picture myself ever being able to understand it. 

But the thing I have to remember (this post is really more for me than for you) is that if I gave up and came home, I know I'd hate it. I'd hate being there. I'd hate knowing I was a quitter. I'd hate knowing I wasted a once in a lifetime opportunity full of experienecs and could-have-beens. I'd regret it my whole life long. So I'm not going to do that. No matter how lonely I feel or how unable I am to communicate. In the end, it's only 10 months of my life here, so I'm just going to try and make the most of it.  And if I can make it here, then I'll be able to make it anywhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...