Friday, September 23, 2011

Max



That is me with Max when we first had him... Back in his hay day, and back when I was scared to death that he'd jump on top of me!

Max, my golden retriever, is getting up there in age. I hate to say the word, but after my walk with him today... He's old. My Mom has been saying he's 10+ years old for a couple years now, so your guess on his age is about as good as mine.



  • While on this walk with my dog, I noted that it took us twice as long as it used to take us to walk down the street and back --only, today was different cause we walked barely half the street. 
  • Every yard or so he'd strain to lift his leg about 2'' to attempt a whiz, but I think about half of those times he forgot why he even "lifted" his leg though cause nothin' came out!
  • His eyes are kinda foggy looking... And whenever I bring him food, I walk about 15 feet away from him and slowly walk toward him so I don't freak him out, but every time he gets startled and jumps out of his skin a little bit!
  • His bark (: Oh his raspy little old man bark! I love it.
  • He smells. Bad actually. He's never smelled particularly great since he's an outdoor dog, but I used to associate his smell with burnt macaroni and cheese.... now it's just reek!
  • He sleeps 24.7. He doesn't even make it to his BIG dog house we built him a few years back cause it's all the way across the yard! So he sleeps under my window. But I don't mind, he doesn't bark nearly as much at night anymore, and it makes me feel some what protected! Definitely a comfort hearing Max roll over and hitting the house every now and then... Let's me know he's still there. 

  • He hasn't had the BEST life in the world, we just never wanted to give him up to another family even though they had a large pasture, or a bigger yard to run around in... Couldn't give up Max. He's lived on a line that ran through the yard, he's been fenced in, and for the past couple of years has had a forrest to run through with an invisible fence. We've played with him, bought him toys, but a lot of his life he has just looked bored. But somehow, when you feel like the crappiest owner, you go out there just to talk to him for a few minutes, and he gets this big grin on his face, and he just loves you like you're the best owner in the world! I don't know why, but he's always here for me, even if I'm not always there for him. 
  • He still follows me as I mow the yard. And rubs against my leg when i've come to a break point.
  • Even now, if you're taking a picture of ...say a flower, he will just bark at you until you notice him, and the moment you point a camera at him, he sits down, lets his tongue hang out, and you can see a smile there! He's pretty photogenic!
See? So happy!
Okay, fine... this might be the only picture where he looks sad.


  • He always listens to you, and keeps every secret!
But I just love my dog Max. He's the best dog in the world. I still think he's the prettiest golden retriever I see EVEN WITH his big tummy and white hair! And quite often, I feel like he's the best friend you could have. I will be so sad the day he dies... But until then, seeing him old, makes me happy! Cause he's lived long, and he's not in physical pain!

Spencer with Max

A couple years ago when I was scared he would soon leave.. Like my ensemble? ;)

Last year... He's lightened up a bit in color... But I'll always love him!!




    2 comments:

    1. I almost had a heart attack because I thought he had died! Good thing he didn't. I want to see him again. Remind me to take a picture with him the next time I'm home, okay? I love that pup. He and I used to be real close.

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...