Sunday, December 4, 2011

j'adore les bébés

"What is your favorite memory?"
I've read this question so many times, it seems to be a popular thing to ask under certain circumstances, and it's usually an awkward thing to try and answer. Well, today; I have one.

Baby.

That my friends, was a fabulous time in life. Think about it! 

(Daddy as a baby)


Ignorance was bliss. You freely enjoyed the service of others wiping your butt. You were fed all the time. Awesome toys hung over your crib to pass time if you couldn't sleep, and when you do sleep, the whole house makes an extra special effort to be quiet and not to wake you (like you're a king or queen.) Whether your clothes were cute or not, the whole baby factor still made them adorable. And in my case, I was the pudgiest baby ever...According to mom and dad I was also the cutest child they had! (That's right. they told me I was the cutest out of all the kids. PARENTS DO HAVE FAVORITES.) People will act completely stupid just to get something as simple as a smile out of you. Paparazzi is everywhere! The video camera loved me! You could get away with taking off your clothes and the whole world would Ooo and aww(: Ifyou couldn't get somewhere, you'd find a way of transportation through a pair of arms or feet! (see below). You always had a seat dedicated to you in the car; no need to call your spot ("shotgun!") Your skin was so soft that people just liked to touch you. Your scribbled art amazed the world. And you were still able to spotlight others just by saying the simple words "mama" and "dadda". There were never worries of procrastination, and you could remember stuff better when TV shows like The Magic School Bus taught you important lessons. Kissing little boys was harmless and cute. And nobody got on your back if you had accidently drooled! I would totally go back. 



Now though, I have a better understanding of both sides of the picture. For every thing I loved up there ^ meant something had to be given up by my parents: Sleep. Money. Pride. Getting sick if you caught a bug. Time. And a lot more. 



In fact, when I first started babysitting I convinced myself I never wanted babies because all I ever saw of babies was that they poop and scream and have dried up snot above their mouth/wipe boogers on you, they never go to sleep right when desired, then they think they can get away with chewing on everything that isn't food! Then they just repeat it all over again! To me they were just stubborn. I mean, how could children never be as good as I was? It was beyond me.

Then I learned about how prego mothers barf from morning sickness, have fat feet, and then after 9 months they have to push a baby out their ...loins, and then tell you that "it was all worth it!" Ew, no. I was never going there. It's bad enough having Auntie Flo come every month without fail, how the heck would I ever be able to put up with GIVING BIRTH?



(This story is almost over, I promise)
So I was looking through old family photos... And I just LOVE them! And I saw how happy we all were! And I always failed to see there was good that came from families, and happy times and precious moments that are unforgettable. Now what? Well. I just can't wait until I'm married, because I will be that much closer to babies than I am now. Plus being a teenager sucks. 

Yay for past! Boo for present. And I'm happy for the future! ...Distant, future. :)

Mommy and Daddy

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Hannah, I love this whole entire post! :) And let me tell you, this post was something I really needed right now. :) So thanks girly!

    Love yous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, being a teenager does suck. I am so glad I don't ever have to repeat it, BUT, like labor and delivery of a baby, you can't go back--only forward, and the experience makes you such a stronger and wiser person! You will survive, just like you will 'natural' childbirth- even if you think you won't!
    Sweet memories, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...